Smile and the world smiles with you, as the saying goes. And it’s really true. Studies show that smiling really is contagious and can change a person’s entire mood. Studies have also shown that the more intense the smile (ideally involving the eyes) the better.
In addition, smiling:
- Boosts the immune system
- Reduces stress and depression by releasing serotonin
- Lowers blood pressure
- Makes other people think better things about you
So, if smiling can have this much effect on us and the people around us, it’s really important to have a great smile.
However, studies from the U.K. show that 18% of the population actually don’t show their teeth when they smile in photographs. Women think a nice smile indicates a warm personality, while men are more inclined to think a nice smile can bring them more success in life. Women also are more likely to undergo a cosmetic dental procedure and believe that cosmetic dentistry can improve quality of life. If you consider the above physiological effects of smiling on stress, blood pressure and depression, cosmetic dentistry could very well improve quality of life.
Dental Partners of Brookline believes strongly in the effects a great smile can have on a person’s life, and our team of dentists has been instrumental in transforming people’s lives by simply restoring their confidence in their smile. If you’re self-conscious about your smile, there are many restorative options available.
Cosmetic Dentists can Help
When most people think of “cosmetic dentistry”, they probably think of veneers and tooth whitening. While whitening a smile is indeed beneficial, cosmetic dentists can do so much more to help restore, repair or refresh your smile.
In addition to tooth whitening and veneers, cosmetic dentists can provide:
- Bonding to fix chipped, broken, cracked or stained teeth, as well as gaps between teeth (diastema)
- Enamel shaping or contouring which modifies the actual shape of the tooth
- Bridges and crowns to replace missing teeth
- Bone or soft tissue augmentation or crown lengthening to improve the appearance of the teeth relative to the gum (gummy smile or toothy grin)
Cosmetic dentistry offers patients a variety of dental materials including:
- Ceramics or porcelain, which provides a strong, most natural-looking dental restoration possible.
- Resin and resin cement, which allows dentists to bond crowns and fixed bridges
- Cast gold or zirconia, which may be indicated in molars to provide a strong, but natural-looking restoration
For best results, your overall treatment plan may involve orthodontics or placement of implants. Each treatment plan is custom-designed for each patient depending on his/her needs, wishes and budget.
If you’re interested in finding out what advances in cosmetic dentistry can do for you, be sure to ask your Dental Partners of Brookline cosmetic dentist.
Stop hiding and start smiling :)